From Banff’s site on the photo competition, the center is looking for mountaineering stories told via photo essay:
“ A photo-essay is a set or series of photographs that are intended to tell a story or evoke emotions in the viewer. Photo essays can be sequential in nature, intended to be viewed in a particular order, or they may consist of non-ordered photographs which may be viewed all at once or in an order chosen by the viewer to reveal their character and dynamics.”
For the Book competition, the categories are:
- Adventure Travel — non-fiction books about travel to, and exploration of, remote and/or rugged landscapes and their cultures.
- Mountain Fiction and Poetry — includes fiction and poetry books with a focus on mountain topics (including climbing and mountaineering, exploration and mountain culture)
- Mountain Guidebooks — non-fiction books dealing with physical activities in mountain environments, like hiking, climbing, mountaineering and “how-to” books.
- Mountain Image — books that primarily focus on mountain images and with text in a subordinate role.
- Mountain and Wilderness Literature, Non-Fiction — non-fiction books, such as memoirs, biographies and narratives on mountaineering, climbing history, mountain exploration, mountain culture, and human experiences of any kind in the mountain wilderness.